Friday, May 15, 2009

Tornado in Kirksville...We're Alive!

We had a tornado here in Kirksville on Wednesday night around 6:00 pm. It has been a crazy couple of days. Ben was just about to come home from school when the sirens went off (I hate that sound). He was about to get into his friend's car when he looked up and thought it was going to come down on top of him. The sky was so dark and the rain and wind were unlike anything I have ever seen before. So he ran back inside the school for safety. I was at home and we were talking on the phone through the whole thing. We didn't actually see the tornado, but we sure felt it. I'll be honest, I was scared out of my mind. But nothing like what our friends must have experienced.

Several other med student families that are in our ward were in their homes when the tornado hit them. They were hunkered down in their basements and heard and felt the pressure of the tornado. They told us that there next door neighbor was actually in the tub seeking safety and had a piece of drywall fall on them and cover them when their roof was torn off. A Dean from Ben's school also had his home damaged beyond repair.

We got the call afterward and Ben went out to help the clean up crew until midnight that night. Thousands of people in the neighborhoods nearby the hit were without power so we had a friend's family over for a few days until they repaired the power lines. Ben spent all day Thursday cleaning up and packing the salvageable things for our friends and the Dean. I was able to help round up food for all of them, but really just wanted to go out and help; I was able to do so Thursday night for a while. The work was quick with the enormous turnout of help, considering how long it could have taken. We were blessed with a nice day of sunshine yesterday for salvaging and packing. There were three deaths, none of whom we knew. We feel so blessed to have been protected, and are praying for those who weren't. Unfortunately, the weather is still scary and stormy and we are under tornado watch from now until 8 tonight. We will be praying hard tonight. Here are the crazy pictures. The picture above is actually the picture of the tornado here just as it touched down. I didn't take that one! But the rest below are ones I took while delivering food and cleaning up. I guess it's one more insane thing to chalk up to this experience of living in the Midwest.
The stairs in one of our friend's home.

Outdoor shower anyone?



The master bedroom in the home of the Dean from Ben's school. Great view huh? I guess his tv was on that back wall. Who knows where it is now. Probably in the pond.
Another view in the master bedrooom.
Thank goodness for insurance.

10 comments:

HeatherandTanner said...

Wow Meg! We're so glad that you guys are ok! Hopefully another one won't come!

Just Us said...

I am glad to hear you are all okay. I am sending prayers your way!! (in case you are wondering who I am and why I am always posting or looking at your blog, no worries I am not a stalker. Ben and I are cousins-sort of, long story :0) )

Tiffany said...

I stole your pic of the tornado for my blog- hope you don't mind! It's been a crazy week eh?

The Nasmans said...

Definitely Tiff. Geez, right? Thanks for all the well wishes and concern!

Sam and Terri said...

Too bad Ash wasn't out there with you. She tells me all the time her life long dream is to be in a tornado. Now that you have had some experience with the whole thing hopefully you can knock some sense into her:)
And I am so glad you guys are ok and your house is still standing!

ash said...

Terri is right...i wish i was there (although I hear she wanted to start a tornado chasing group and fly the next dorothy (sp??))! thats so amazing! glad you guys are ok as well...and sorry for the people that died.

Jessica said...

WOW! Tornados are one of my greatest fears! I'm glad you guys were ok. I bet you can't wait to come back to good ol' Utah. :-)

The Nasmans said...

Ashley, you are crazy, woman! Terri, you're right,it looks like I am going to have to tell her some scary stories to dissuade lifelong twister chasing fantasies. But...even though it was horrible, it was kinda cool. Probably shouldn't have said that :) You didn't hear that Ash!

Truman & Amy said...

Hey Megan! I'm glad you like our place, we love it! They are condos in South Provo called Canyon Village, they're only a year old. The address is 397 So. State St. We are renting ours, there's only a few to rent. And then other ones are to buy I think, I know one couple is selling their's because they're moving --but I don't know if you'd be interested in buying or just renting. I'm not sure what is available, but the person who built them and takes care of everything is Rand Holley, he is super nice! Here is his # if you are interested: 801-722-5552 http://canyonvillagecondos.com/?page=photo-b3

Just let me know if you have more questions ;)

love Amy :)

Steve and Ash said...

Hey Megan! I just saw your blog, hope it's ok that I added your's! How crazy is that! I would be totally scared out of my mind as well!! What an experience, that we never had in California! Take care!!
Ashley