Monday, October 6, 2008

Yummy Yummy Says My Tummy



Just thought I would share another recipe with everyone. You know how hard it is to find a homemade brownie recipe that actually rivals the stupefying paramount of box brownies? Seriously, I don't know how in the world they get box brownies to taste so amazing!! I have found a brownie recipe that I really like and comes pretty darn near box brownies when baked right!

5-Way Fudge Brownies

1/2 c butter or margarine
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut up
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 c flour

Melt butter or margarine and chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat lightly by hand until just combined. Stir in flour. Spread batter in a greased 9 by 9 pan (I use glass). Bake in a 350 oven for 20 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack. Spread Chocolate Glaze over the cooled brownies, if desired. Add other ingredients from variations listed below, if desired. Cut into bars.

Notes:
1. I like mixing the chocolate glaze and chocolate chunk brownie recipes, except I usually just use milk chocolate chips.
2. I usually set the timer for 20 minutes but watch and check the brownies. Usually it takes a little bit longer than 20 minutes in my oven, but it depends on the oven! Plus, I like them gooey, so it depends on how you want them.

Chocolate Glaze:
Cook and stir 3 tbsp butter or margarine, 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, and 2 tbsp milk in a saucepan until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla.

Caramel Nut Goodies:
Prepare fudge brownies as directed, except stir in 1/2 c chopped pecans into the batter before baking. Sprinkle batter with 1/2 c mini semisweet chocolate chips and bake as directed. Combine one 61/4 ounce package of vanilla caramels and 2 tbsp of milk in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until smooth. Drizzle caramel atop brownies.

Peanut Butter Brownies:
For frosting, beat 1/2 c peanut butter in a medium bowl until fluffy. Gradually add 1 c powdered sugar. Beat in 1/4 c milk and 1 tsp vanilla. Gradually beat in about 1/2 c additional powdered sugar to make of spreading consistency. Spread frosting atop brownies and sprinkle with 1/4 c finely chopped dry roasted peanuts (I like it without the peanuts).

Chocolate Chunk Brownies:
Prepare fudge brownies as directed except stir in 2.2-ounce milk chocolate bar, coarsely chopped, and one 2.2-ounce white chocolate bar with almonds, coarsely chopped, into the batter (I like just using a milk chocolate bar).

Creme de Menthe Brownies:
Prepare fudge brownies as directed, except omit vanilla. Stir 1/4 teaspoon mint extract into batter. For frosting, beat 1/4 c butter in a medium bowl until fluffy. Gradually add 1 c powdered sugar. Beat in 2 tbsp green creme de menthe (I just use mint extract or real essential oil peppermint and add to taste). Gradually beat in about 1/2 c powdered sugar to make of spreading consistency. Spread atop brownies. Melt 1 ounce semisweet chocolate and drizzle over brownies.

1 comment:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

YUMMMM! PB brownies sound delish... we'll have to try them!